Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sailing Literature/Seize the Day

Reading the book, Seize the Day, by Shirley Billing, a Brit who sailed around the world in the mid-1980s.  More on the story as I progress with reading it.  But... it seems to me that voyaging is less about the boat than the desire to travel.

My sailing students over the years have all asked, "what's the perfect cruising boat?'  Books are written and sailing magazines spill barrels of ink on the subject.  I think the answer might be: "If you want to go exploring by sea, you'll need a boat.  It doesn't much matter which one."  I have, somewhere in the archivdes, a picture of cruising boats viewed in Falmouth Harbour, Antigua.  My favorite is a 25 footer sporting a small hard dinghy hoisted out alongside in the fashion of much larger yachts.  A "shippy" little yacht being handled very professionally.  'nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment